We recently said goodbye to our inaugural class of summer Interns and Fellows here at Civis. The class of ‘14 worked hard with our Engineering, Data Science R&D, Applied Data Science, and Data Research teams helping solve tough problems for non-profits, political campaigns, and companies.
We accepted students from all over the country, ranging from rising juniors to completed PHDs and representing 13 different universities: Brown, Michigan, Yale, Penn, Loyola Chicago, Harvard, Northwestern, George Mason, Georgetown, Lake Forest, Claremont McKenna, Florida International, and NYU.
Our team spent their days building models, developing and deploying features for our software tools, analyzing massive datasets, roving the office for good snacks, and of course, going to baseball games.
We brought everyone up to speed with an early crash-course on SQL – care of our many teachers in Data Research – then got to work. Each of our interns logged hours of training on Python, R, Git, and Unix shell scripting. Interns and fellows were given substantive work along with the trust and space to work on projects that challenged them.
We’ll miss this summer’s team but we’re excited to welcome our next class of interns this Fall, Spring and Summer. We have open positions for the following roles:
- Software Engineering – Design and build features, and work closely with our engineers to test and deploy them
- Applied Data Science - Diagnose client needs, develop analytical strategies, and execute on client-focused work
- Data Science R&D- research projects, predictive analytics, data mining, experimental design and ad-hoc statistical analysis, and learn modeling strategy and research design
- Data Research - Research, standardize, and transform a wide variety of data sets to prepare them for analysis and integration into our products
- Election Fellows - Work with our Political team in DC or Chicago on our suite of polling, modeling and strategic services for our political clients (Fall only)
- MBA Fellows – Work on client-facing work, from market research to pitches, proposals, contracts and partnerships
If you are local to Chicago or Washington, DC, we’re currently accepting applications for Fall and Spring. Internships for Summer ‘15 are open to applicants across the country and will take place in either Chicago or Washington, DC.
Read more about our programs and submit your application here.